Our research aims to understand the mechanisms of early mammalian development before and at the time of implantation on cellular and molecular level. We use the mouse embryo as a model system to decipher the interconnected processes of self-organization and cell fate transitions of the early lineages. To study these basic properties of the mammalian conceptus we use embryo micromanipulation techniques, 3D stem cell culture, genetic and genomic engineering, next generation sequencing methods, advanced microscopy and automated functional screens. The project within the Collaborative Research Center focuses on the architectural reorganization of the trophoblast stem cell pool (extraembryonic ectoderm) of the implanting embryo. These cells are critical for establishing the connection to the maternal tissues during the early stages of pregnancy and later for the formation of the placenta. Our aim is to dissect the signaling circuits that regulate the shape and function of the extraembryonic ectoderm during the implantation process.
- Ozguldez, H.O., Fan, R., and Bedzhov, I. (2020). Placental gene editing via trophectoderm-specific Tat-Cre/loxP recombination. Development 147.
- Agrawal, M., Schwarz, P., Giaimo, B.D., Bedzhov, I., Corbacioglu, A., Weber, D., Gaidzik, V.I., Jahn, N., Rucker, F.G., Schroeder, T., et al. (2020). Functional and clinical characterization of the alternatively spliced isoform AML1-ETO9a in adult patients with translocation t(8;21)(q22;q22.1) acute myeloid leukemia (AML). Leukemia 34, 630-634.
- Govindasamy, N., and Bedzhov, I. (2019). Isolation and Culture of Periimplantation and Early Postimplantation Mouse Embryos. Methods Mol Biol 2006, 373-382.
- Govindasamy, N., Duethorn, B., Oezgueldez, H.O., Kim, Y.S., and Bedzhov, I. (2019). Test-tube embryos - mouse and human development in vitro to blastocyst stage and beyond. Int J Dev Biol 63, 203-215.
- Bedzhov, I., Bialecka, M., Zielinska, A., Kosalka, J., Antonica, F., Thompson, A.J., Franze, K., and Zernicka-Goetz, M. (2015). Development of the anterior-posterior axis is a self-organizing process in the absence of maternal cues in the mouse embryo. Cell Res 25, 1368-1371.
- Bedzhov, I., and Stemmler, M.P. (2015). Applying the proximity ligation assay (PLA) to mouse preimplantation embryos for identifying protein-protein interactions in situ. Methods Mol Biol 1233, 57-64.
- Bedzhov, I., and Zernicka-Goetz, M. (2014). Self-organizing properties of mouse pluripotent cells initiate morphogenesis upon implantation. Cell 156, 1032-1044.
- Bedzhov, I., Leung, C.Y., Bialecka, M., and Zernicka-Goetz, M. (2014). In vitro culture of mouse blastocysts beyond the implantation stages. Nat Protoc 9, 2732-2739.
- Bedzhov, I., Alotaibi, H., Basilicata, M.F., Ahlborn, K., Liszewska, E., Brabletz, T., and Stemmler, M.P. (2013). Adhesion, but not a specific cadherin code, is indispensable for ES cell and induced pluripotency. Stem Cell Res 11, 1250-1263.
- Bedzhov, I., Liszewska, E., Kanzler, B., and Stemmler, M.P. (2012). Igf1r signaling is indispensable for preimplantation development and is activated via a novel function of E-cadherin. PLoS Genet 8, e1002609.
- Sathyanarayanan, A. and Bedzhov, I. (2020). Generation of trophectoderm-like cells and assembly of trophectoderm-like vesicles and synthetic embryoids. EP20181414.2
- Zernicka-Goetz, M. and Bedzhov, I. (2015). Media and methods for culturing embryos and stem cells. WO2015022541