We want to understand how the extraordinary spatial and temporal precision of cellular processes is achieved despite the dynamic character of all involved components. Our research focuses on the organization and function of the cell cortex – the plasma membrane (PM) and its underlying cytoskeleton – during cellular morphogenesis. Within the CRC we specifically address the role of protein-lipid interactions for protein segregation in the PM. We have previously established that the PM of budding yeast organizes into a patchwork of coexisting domains, and that this segregation is essential for proper function of membrane proteins. Using a combination of yeast genetics, live cell imaging, lithographic techniques and molecular dynamics simulations we will now study the mechanistic basis for lateral positioning of integral proteins in the yeast PM.
Additional projects in the lab deal with the spatial organization and regulation of membrane potential at the PM and with regulation of actin dynamics in mammalian cells during acute stress responses.
- Bayraktar, S., Nehrig, J., Menis, E., Karli, K., Janning, A., Struk, T., Halbritter, J., Michgehl, U., Krahn, M.P., Schuberth, C.E., Pavenstädt, H., and Wedlich-Söldner, R. (2020). A deregulated stress response underlies distinct INF2 associated disease profiles. JASN 31, 1296-1313.
- Busto, J.V., Elting, A., Haase, D., Spira, F., Kuhlman, J., Schafer-Herte, M., and Wedlich-Soldner, R. (2018). Lateral plasma membrane compartmentalization links protein function and turnover. Embo J 37, e99473.
- Wedlich-Soldner, R., and Betz, T. (2018). Self-organization: the fundament of cell biology. Philos T R Soc B 373, 20170103.
- Wales, P., Schuberth, C.E., Aufschnaiter, R., Fels, J., Garcia-Aguilar, I., Janning, A., Dlugos, C.P., Schafer-Herte, M., Klingner, C., Walte, M., et al. (2016). Calcium-mediated actin reset (CaAR) mediates acute cell adaptations. Elife 5, e19850.
- Klingner, C., Cherian, A.V., Fels, J., Diesinger, P.M., Aufschnaiter, R., Maghelli, N., Keil, T., Beck, G., Tolic-Norrelykke, I.M., Bathe, M., et al. (2014). Isotropic actomyosin dynamics promote organization of the apical cell cortex in epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 207, 107-121.
- Freisinger, T., Klunder, B., Johnson, J., Muller, N., Pichler, G., Beck, G., Costanzo, M., Boone, C., Cerione, R.A., Frey, E., et al. (2013). Establishment of a robust single axis of cell polarity by coupling multiple positive feedback loops. Nat Commun 4, 1807.
- Spira, F., Mueller, N.S., Beck, G., von Olshausen, P., Beig, J., and Wedlich-Soldner, R. (2012). Patchwork organization of the yeast plasma membrane into numerous coexisting domains (vol 14, pg 640, 2012). Nat Cell Biol 14, 890-890.
- Dominguez-Escobar, J., Chastanet, A., Crevenna, A.H., Fromion, V., Wedlich-Soldner, R., and Carballido-Lopez, R. (2011). Processive Movement of MreB-Associated Cell Wall Biosynthetic Complexes in Bacteria. Science 333, 225-228.
- Riedl, J., Flynn, K.C., Raducanu, A., Gartner, F., Beck, G., Bosl, M., Bradke, F., Massberg, S., Aszodi, A., Sixt, M., et al. (2010). Lifeact mice for studying F-actin dynamics. Nat Methods 7, 168-169.
- Wedlich-Soldner, R., Altschuler, S.J., Wu, L.F., and Li, R. (2003). Spontaneous cell polarization through actomyosin-based delivery of the Cdc42 GTPase. Science 299, 1231-1235.